Monday, February 16, 2009

Another small piece

Watching myself write this week has been such a revelation! How very informative to notice but not judge the many activities I generate that seem to center around my act of writing. I've also noticed that my son and husband impact my writing in several ways. Even the birds and Miss Daisy, my hamster, get into the act. I can be ripping along on the computer, typing like mad, and am gradually lured out of my trance because Miss Daisy is barking at me, demanding attention and the special seeds I hand feed her. If I move from the study to the den, my cockatiel will occasionally pause his conversation with our parakeet and/or the outside birds to advise me that
"I'm a pretty bird" which is my cue to go over to his cage and agree with him, maybe even encouraging him fly out and sit on my shoulder, or begin his hobby of perforating and scraps of folding paper. Clearly, I should head for a different area of my home or choose somewhere else entirely.

1 comment:

Nell said...

It's hard to find the perfect writing space. I just wrote a post about something similar, but different. I don't have any pets, but my daughters pull me up out of my writing when I work at home, this is one of the reasons why I am looking for office space. I need, to quote Virginia Woolf, a room of my own.